Kid Friendly, Winter, Thanksgiving, Fourth of July, Fall, Christmas, Bake, Main Dish, American, Lamb, Dinner, Savory
3 tablespoon Olive oil
4 rashers Bacon chopped
2 medium Onion brown
4 cloves Garlic thinly sliced
1 3/10 kg Lamb boned, trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
1/2 cup White wine
600 gram Potato pink eye or similar, peeled, cubed
1 bunch Silverbeet stalks trimmed, leaves washed, roughly shredded
8 sheets Fillo pastry
50 gram Butter melted
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan with lid over medium-high heat. add the bacon, onions and garlic and cook until soft, then remove and set aside.
2. Add the remaining oil and brown the lamb in batches. Remove and set aside with bacon mixture.
3. Add the wine to the saucepan and scrape up any meat traces sticking to the bottom of the saucepan. Return the filling mixture and add 500ml (2 cups) water. Partially cover the saucepan, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for 7 minutes, drain and set aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 180 C about 20 minutes before the filling finishes cooking.
6. Add the potatoes to the filling and gently stir. Add the silverbeet, gently stir and cook for 3-4 minutes or until it has wilted. Pour the filling into a 30cm x 22cm x 8cm oval pie dish.
7. Brush one side of a sheet of fillo pastry with melted butter, fold in half so the buttery side faces out and place over the pie. Repeat with the remaining sheets. (Alternatively, use one sheet of puff pastry)
8. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until pastry is golden.
Visit www.bigoven.com to organize and share your recipes.